Enjoy a Safe Fourth of July Weekend in Tucson
For most Americans, the Fourth of July is the highlight of summer activities. Unfortunately, the mix of sun, alcohol and fireworks also makes it the most dangerous holiday in the United States.
Whether you’re celebrating at home or at other festivities around Tucson, you can take steps to avoid accidents and mishaps. Our Tucson personal injury attorneys offer some timely tips for a safe and happy Fourth of July.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, two-thirds of all fireworks accidents occur during the month of July, with more than 40 percent involving people under the age of 20.
- Fireworks used to be banned in Arizona, but a 2014 law allows the use of specified fireworks during certain time periods. Make sure you are in compliance with all regulations.
- Most fireworks accidents are caused by misuse. Be sure to carefully read and follow all instructions.
- Do not attempt to handle or re-light fireworks that don’t fully ignite.
- Keep a hose or other source of water nearby.
This year the National Safety Council issued its highest holiday traffic fatality estimate since 2008.
- More than one-third of Fourth of July traffic fatalities involve alcohol. Have a designated driver or use Uber, taxis or other public transportation.
- Follow posted speed limits and keep seatbelts fastened at all times.
- Avoid distracted driving. This includes cell phones as well as GPS systems, CD players and food and beverages.
What’s a Fourth of July without burgers, hot dogs and marshmallows?
- Always use a grill outdoors, well away from houses, tents and other enclosed structures.
- Make sure the grill is tended at all times during use. Keep other people and pets at a safe distance.
- Never add lighter fluid to charcoal that has already been ignited.
Get Help from the Top Tucson Personal Injury Attorneys
The Tucson personal injury attorneys at Lerner & Rowe are ranked among the Top 1% of attorneys in the United States. They have extensive experience handling all types of personal injury cases and seeking the best results for clients. Contact us 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (602) 977-1900 to schedule your free consultation.