Being involved in a car accident is a very stressful event. In addition to physical and emotional damages, individuals must deal with insurance companies, lawsuits, and potentially taking time from work. A Maywood car accident lawyer can help reduce that stress and allow an accident victim to focus on recovering from their injuries. All the while, the experienced car crash accident lawyer will protect the accident victim’s rights and help build the case against the responsible party.
Maywood Car Accident Causes
Car accidents occur for a number of reasons, some of the most common are:
- Poor weather conditions
- Distracted drivers
- Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Novice drivers
Recovery of damages from the responsible or negligent party may be available if the responsible party had automobile liability insurance at the time of the accident. However, the automobile insurance companies are sophisticated. They use many strategies to reduce the value of claims or avoid paying a claim altogether. An accident victim should not try to take on the insurance company alone, but instead get a Maywood car accident lawyer to protect their rights and fight the insurance company.
What to Do Following a Car Crash
The time following a car crash can be full of anxiety and can seem overwhelming. There are several important things to do that an individual should keep in mind following a crash.
- Stay Calm. It is easy to point fingers and lose one’s temper after being involved in an accident, but they should keep cool and focus on what needs to be done
- Secure safety and make sure that the driver themselves and any passengers are safe and away from any dangers associated with the accident or roadway
- Call emergency services for anyone injured in the accident.
- Call the Police. Report the incident. A police officer will arrive on the scene. They create a report and explain how the injured individual can get a copy.
- Gather All Information. At the very least, the drivers involved in the collision will need to exchange drivers’ licenses and insurance information. If there are any witnesses who saw the accident, it would be helpful to obtain their information as well.
- Take pictures of the scene. Also damage to any car involved and anything else that might be relevant to the cause of the accident
- Say Nothing. Although it may be clear who is at fault, is it important to not mention anything to anyone (the other driver, witnesses, or even the police) about fault. Statements related to fault can be used by insurance companies against the injured individual
- Document Everything. Keep organized copies of medical records or other expenses incurred as a result of the accident. If a damage suffered can be tied back to the accident, it is likely recoverable in a lawsuit or insurance settlement
Insurance Companies and Compensation
Despite common assumptions, insurance companies do not always act in the best interest of the those making a claim against an insurance policy. An insurance company is always looking for a reason to minimize damages or to deny a claim altogether.
It is critical that an accident victim speaks to an experienced car accident lawyer in Maywood to understand how to properly deal with an insurance company. In most circumstances, the lawyer can directly negotiate with insurance companies to work toward maximum compensation for all injuries and related losses caused by the accident.
An insurance company will not be willing to compensate an individual for their losses unless the individual can sufficiently demonstrate that the damages actually occurred. Therefore keeping careful documentation of things like medical bills and mechanic’s bills is important.
Maywood sees its fair share of car accidents. The large majority of lawsuits arising from car accidents settle out of court. Insurance companies rarely want to take a matter all the way to trial. However, only an experienced Maywood car accident lawyer will help force the insurance company to pay all that you deserve.
Consulting With a Maywood Car Accident Attorney
Individuals involved in an accident should contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible for two reasons. One: the accident victim should focus on their medical care and recovery from injuries sustained in the accident. Two: the Maywood accident lawyer will focus on building the best claim possible.