Kids in Tucson are heading back to school, and many of them will be heading back to an empty home after class. Whether you are a single parent or part of a working couple, chances are that you have one or more latchkey kids in your household.
Personal Safety Tips for Tucson Latchkey Kids
Make the most of this opportunity to teach your kids about responsibility and common sense. Our Tucson personal injury attorneys have some valuable tips that will help kids put safety first.
- Is your child old enough to be home on his or her own? While Arizona has no legal guidelines, many healthcare professionals suggest a minimum age of 11 or 12, but children develop at different rates. The Department of Health and Human Services offers a set of questions that will help you decide.
- Set a rule that your kids must call you as soon as they get home. No news is good news, but not in this instance. This will get them in the habit of letting you know where they are, even when you are at home.
- Emphasize that they are not to let anyone, even friends, know they are home alone. This includes posting it on social media, where information is not as private as they think.
- Both your home and your children should be emergency-ready. Have a list of contact numbers along with a first-aid kit in a readily accessible place. Discuss hypothetical situations and how they should be handled, quizzing them periodically to help them retain the information.
- Create a daily schedule specifying chores to be completed and the amount of time spent on entertainment, including TV, computers and video games. Kids home alone with no direction is a likely recipe for trouble.
Get Assistance for Your Injured Child from the Best Attorneys in Arizona
Despite your best precautions, kids and injuries sometimes go hand-in-hand. Our board-certified Tucson personal injury attorneys are ready to step in and assist with potentially uncooperative insurance companies so you can focus on caring for your child. Contact Lerner & Rowe Injury Attorneys at (520) 977-1900 or visit our website to schedule your free consultation.