Living in or near a city offers a lot of benefits, but it also has its drawbacks. One downside to being in a city is that there are far more people, which means there will be a lot more traffic. It also means drivers are at a higher risk of getting into an accident. Finding a lawyer after a car accident can help you recover financially, but the best case scenario is to avoid accidents altogether.
In a recent study about the best and worst cities for driving, the following 10 cities were named the worst places to drive:
- Detroit, MI
- San Francisco, CA
- Oakland, CA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Seattle, WA
- Boston, MA
- New York, NY
- Newark, NJ
- Los Angeles, CA
- Chicago, IL
Drivers in those cities should be especially cautious, but it is always important to be careful behind the wheel of a car. To help keep yourself, your passengers, and other people safe, know the risks of city driving and avoid them as much as possible.
Leading Causes of Fatal Car Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) is always collecting and analyzing information about driving safety. Their insights intend to help people stay safe on the road. They have identified the following as common causes of car accidents. Watch out for the following causes, and contact a lawyer after a car accident involving any of this behavior:
- Driving Drowsy – While driving tired is not as much of a legal risk as driving under the influence, it can still pose a very serious safety risk. If you feel especially fatigued, do not get behind the wheel of a car.
- Bad Weather – If you live in a city like Chicago with heavy rainfalls or snow, you will have more to contend with when you are driving. Be extra careful when the roads are slippery.
- Reckless Behavior – Driving a car is a very serious responsibility and is not to be taken lightly. Beware of things like speeding or failure to respect signs and traffic lights. Driving recklessly shows a disregard for the traffic laws that work to keep people safe. Even worse, it shows a lack of care for the safety and well-being of other people.
- Careless Driving – Even when a driver is not being intentionally reckless, they can cause accidents by being careless on the road. Because driving is such a serious task, it deserves all of your attention. Do not let yourself become too distracted by passengers, your phone, or anything else that can take your mind off the road.
- Driving Under the Influence – It should come as no surprise that drinking and driving, or using drugs and driving, is a huge cause of accidents. Simply put, it is never okay to drive when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It is not worth the legal risk, and it is not worth ruining your life or someone else’s.
How to Get a Lawyer After a Car Accident
In a wreck? Need a check? At Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys, we use our experience, skill, and passion to pursue your deserved compensation. We also offer free consultations, so there is no fee unless we win your case.
To find a lawyer after a car accident, call Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys at 844-977-1900. Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, but we are available 24/7 to take your call. You may also choose to contact us online, fill out an online form or check out our website where we have a LiveChat feature to help get you answers as soon as possible.