An Albuquerque drunk driver can ruin a fun night out, cause devastating catastrophic injuries, and lead to the wrongful death of a loved one. A car accident, especially one involving a drunk driver, is a traumatic experience. The aftermath can leave you overwhelmed and unsure of the next steps to take. Lerner and Rowe’s New Mexico car accident lawyers offer some tips on what to do if you’ve been in an accident involving an Albuquerque drunk driver.
First Steps to Take After You’ve Been Hit By an Albuquerque Drunk Driver
Accidents involving drunk drivers can happen anytime, anywhere. The steps you should take after an accident involving an Albuquerque drunk driver are similar to what you’d do after a car accident. If you’ve been hit by a drunk or impaired driver, here’s what you need to do:
- Check for injuries: if you are injured, stay calm and try not to aggravate the injury further.
- Call 911 and report the accident: provide all necessary details to the 911 dispatcher and report any injuries.
- Try to move your vehicle: if your vehicle is driveable, try to move it out of traffic. A stalled car in the middle of the road can lead to another accident. In the case that your car is not driveable, turn your flashers on so other drivers can see your vehicle.
- Document all details of the accident: if you are able, document all the details of the accident scene with your smartphone. Write down every detail possible or type it into your phone.
- Take photos and video: evidence is key in a personal injury case. Take as many photos and videos as possible. If you observe the other driver’s behavior and suspect that he or she might be inebriated, record him or her with your smartphone for evidence.
- Mention the other driver’s impairment to the police: once the police arrive, make it clear you believe the other driver has been drinking. Explain what the other driver did to make you think he or she was inebriated. Let the officer know about your video of the driver’s inebriation, as well as any witnesses that can support your claim. Make sure to give a detailed statement about the accident.
- Get information from the at-fault driver: try to get the other driver’s name, contact information, and auto insurance information. If the other driver attempts to leave the scene of the accident, tell them that it is illegal to leave the scene of an auto accident and take down their license plate number.
Seeking Medical Attention After an Accident With an Albuquerque Drunk Driver
If you’ve been injured involving an Albuquerque drunk driver, injuries are possible, as these accidents are often severe. In many accidents involving drunk drivers, victims tend to leave the scene of the accident in an ambulance. Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is still important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
The adrenaline rush after a car accident can mask pain and symptoms of injury. It is important to visit the emergency room or urgent care after an accident with an Albuquerque drunk driver for X-rays and a full medical exam to diagnose any hidden injuries.
Often, injuries like whiplash take a few days or even weeks to manifest. Once a doctor diagnoses your injuries, it is important to keep all documentation from your visits, including reports, discharge papers, imaging, and any other information for your personal injury case.
Dealing with Insurance Companies After an Accident
After an accident, dealing with an insurance company is inevitable. Lerner and Rowe’s car accident lawyers suggest that you contact us prior to speaking with any insurance company to ensure that your best interests are protected. However, if circumstances are such that you do end up speaking with any insurance company prior to seeking legal assistance, keep the following tips in mind:
Speaking with your insurance company: when you call to report the crash, tell your car insurance adjuster that you suspect the other driver was inebriated at the time of the accident. Do not make any admissions of guilt.
Speaking with the other driver’s insurance company: keep in mind that the Albuquerque drunk driver’s insurer might attempt to talk you into providing information about the accident. Only share any details about injuries and damages you suffered. Explain that you suspect the insured party was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident.
An Attorney Can Help You Obtain Compensation Following a DUI Accident
Our attorneys will investigate the accident, interview potential witnesses, negotiate a settlement, and argue your case in court. This way, you won’t have to bother handling stressful talks with insurance companies or others. Your focus can be squarely on recovering from the accident.
Our committed legal team at Lerner and Rowe will make you their first priority. We help you emerge from this painful experience with the compensation you deserve for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost time at work
- Lost future earnings
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Other costs and losses associated with the accident
Injured by an Albuquerque Drunk Driver? Contact Lerner and Rowe for Help.
If you are injured in any way as a result of a drunk driver or any other type of accident or form of negligence, reach out to our Albuquerque personal injury attorneys as soon as possible. Our representatives are available 24/7, even during the holidays. Our team has served over 120,000 clients and recovered over $2 billion dollars!
Reach our award-winning legal team by dialing 505-544-4444. You can also use our website’s convenient LiveChat feature or submit an online case review. Consultations are free and we do not charge any fees unless your case is won. Don’t let a car accident ruin your new year in Albuquerque. Contact us today.