Paxil (generic name: paroxetine hydrochloride) is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressant pill that was created to help balance serotonin levels in people that suffer from extreme mood swings, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other social anxiety disorders. Common side effects users have experienced include sexual dysfunction, feelings of tiredness, agitation and weight gain. The drug has also been linked to intolerable withdrawal affects when users try to stop taking the drug, which creates a certain dependency in patients. Those affected should speak with a Paxil injury lawyer to discuss whether their injuries warrant a dangerous drug claim.
FDA Warnings against Paxil Use
In 2005 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a warning that birth defects and possible risk of death increase when taken in the first trimester of pregnancy. In 2006, the FDA released another warning that the drug Paxil shows an increase of risk of suicidal thoughts and aggression in users under the age of 18.
Paxil SSRI Antidepressant Severe Symptoms
If you or a loved have taken Paxil and have of any of the following symptoms, you should promptly call your physician:
- Blurred vision
- Suicidal thoughts/hallucinations
- Abnormal headaches/difficulty concentrating
- Abnormal bleeding, bruising or also, tiny red dots under skin
- Skin rash, hives, blisters or also, peeling
- Uncontrollable twitching or shakiness of body parts
- Chest pain/rapid or irregular heart beat
- Flu-like symptoms
- Painful, frequent or difficulty urinating
- Tingling or numbness in extremities (feet, legs, hands or arms)
- Severe, sudden or continuous nausea/vomiting (may be bloody)
- Severe, sudden or continuous diarrhea/constipation
- Black or tarry looking stools
- Swelling of legs, hands or feet
- Painful erection that lasts for hours
- Vaginal swelling, itching, burning or also, infection
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Severe weight gain
As with any prescribed drug, users of Paxil should consult their physician before discontinuing use of the drug.
Assistance of An Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of using the dangerous drug Paxil, you need an experienced Paxil injury attorney. Our team of dangerous drug lawyers will fight to get you the compensation you deserve to cover prolonged medical care, pain and loss of income. We will evaluate your current circumstances and help determine whether or not you are eligible to file a claim.