Los Angeles has a reputation for being a car-centric city. It is also famous for being a party town, with fantastic clubs, cocktail lounges, dive bars, and more. When Angelenos want to get around the city for a night of revelry, they often use rideshare services like Lyft and Uber. While most rideshare trips are safe, accidents can happen at any time and for reasons beyond your control. To help you stay safe, the Uber accidents lawyers at Lerner and Rowe share the Los Angeles rideshare safety tips below.
Why Are Rideshare Services So Popular in LA?
Lyft and Uber have become globally popular due to their combination of convenience and competitive pricing. In Los Angeles, it goes beyond that; there are simply more rideshare drivers than taxi drivers in LA. The City of Los Angeles limits the number of taxi licenses, while anyone can sign up to be a Lyft or Uber driver. According to The NY Times, in 2020 there were 2,364 licensed taxi cabs in Los Angeles compared to more than 100,000 rideshare drivers.
Additionally, the “LA area,” is broad and many people come from dozens of miles away to enjoy what the city has to offer. It’s common for people from Orange County, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, and the Inland Empire to party in Los Angeles for a night or a weekend. Trips from those areas can take an hour or longer, especially with LA’s infamous traffic.
When you look at all the factors above, it’s no wonder that rideshare companies are doing so well in Los Angeles. However, with the rapid growth of rideshare in LA comes different types of dangers and accidents. The Los Angeles injury lawyers at Lerner and Rowe suggest the following Los Angeles rideshare safety tips.
5 Los Angeles Rideshare Safety Tips
Although rideshare accidents have grown in Los Angeles, there are many simple things that you can do to maximize your safety. Here are five safety tips that can help make sure your next Lyft or Uber ride is as safe as possible.
- Protect Your Personal Information: avoid sharing excessive and unnecessary personal information with your rideshare driver. Many people get chatty and tend to overshare when they’ve been drinking alcoholic beverages or taking recreational drugs. This can lead to sharing sensitive information that could lead to assault, identify theft, and other crimes.
- Verify the Driver’s Vehicle and License Plate: before getting into the rideshare vehicle, verify that the make, model, and license plate number match the information provided in your rideshare app. Additionally, check that the driver’s appearance matches the photo on their profile. Do not accept rides from people who claim to be your rideshare driver, but look substantially different from their profile pic and/or are driving a vehicle other than the one listed in your app.
- Wear Your Seat Belt: always wear your seat belt during your ride, no matter how short your trip may be. Seat belts are essential for your safety in the event of an accident and are required under California law.
- Share Your Trip Details: the Lyft and Uber apps allow you to share trip details with family and friends. This is a fantastic way to add an extra layer of protection to your trip. Even if you’ve had too much to drink, you can have a relative or friend track your trip and confirm arrival.
- Sit in the Backseat: sit in the backseat of the rideshare vehicle whenever possible. Before getting in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, check the rear-door child-safety lock to make sure it’s not on. Sitting in the back can add an extra level of safety and comfort during your ride.
In a Lyft or Uber Accident? Contact Lerner and Rowe.
The rideshare accident lawyers at Lerner and Rowe injury attorneys hope that you found these five Los Angeles rideshare safety tips useful. Please share them with your friends and family to help keep them safe. Unfortunately, some accidents will happen no matter how safe you’re being. If you’ve been injured in a Los Angeles car crash involving a Lyft or Uber vehicle then contact our rideshare accident lawyers for immediate assistance.
With more than 240 years of combined personal injury litigation experience and billion-dollar settlements recovered on behalf of our clients nationwide, Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys is the powerhouse law firm for you. Our staff is available 24/7 to being your free consultation by phone at 310-INJURED and online via LiveChat or encrypted contact form. One call is all you need–a call to Lerner and Rowe may be the most important one you’ll ever make.