Hospitals are complex institutions with a multitude of layers. At a hospital, a patient may be given care by doctors, nurses, medical technicians, therapists, orderlies, and many others. While most hospital stays are successful in helping patients heal, there are times when mistakes happen. When medical malpractice occurs at a hospital, you need an adept Albuquerque hospital errors attorney by your side. The skilled lawyers at Lerner and Rowe have extensive experience in handling hospital error cases and are ready to work hard for you.
Type of Hospital Errors
With so many different people involved and numerous moving parts, there are many things that could go wrong at a hospital. Here are some common hospital errors to be mindful of.
- Blood Clots – Blood clots are regarded as one of the most preventable types of hospital death. Patients that have had surgery or are restricted to bed rest can develop blood clots due to poor circulation This can lead to deep-vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolisms. Blood clots that travel to the brain, lungs, or heart can be deadly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 10 hospital deaths are related to blood clots in the lungs. These deaths are preventable through proper monitoring and the use of blood thinners.
- Anesthesia Errors – Errors with anesthesia can lead to brain damage, heart failure, damage to other organs, and wrongful death. They can occur when an anesthesiologist administers the wrong dose, uses malfunctioning equipment, delays dosage, fails to monitor dosage, or disregards patient allergies.
- Intravenous Overdose/Prescription Error – Many hospital patients receive medicine and fluids via intravenous (IV) drip. Accidental overdoses or prescription errors can occur if the nurse administers the wrong medicine or wrong dosage of medicines and/or through faulty equipment.
- Bed Sores – Pressure ulcers or bed sores happen in hospital patients that are confined to a bed or wheelchair. They start as red patches on the skin and can advance to life-threatening infections. Bed sores are highly preventable by having the patient perform assisted movements.
- Slips and Falls – Since most hospitals are rigorously cleaned in order to kill bacteria, wet surfaces are common. If they are not dried in a timely fashion, slip-and-fall accidents may occur.
These are just some of the issues that our Albuquerque hospital errors attorney team handles. There are many other types of hospital errors that the lawyers at Lerner and Rowe specialize in. These include pathology, prescription, emergency room, birthing, and surgical errors. If you or a loved one have endured pain and suffering because of these types of medical malpractice while at a hospital then it’s vital for you to contact an Albuquerque hospital errors attorney today.
Why Hospital Errors Happen
There are many causes of hospital negligence that result in error. These include:
- Procedures not being followed as they should be
- Lack of adequate training or knowledge
- Negligent scheduling leading to staff’s lack of sleep and ineffectiveness
- The patient left unattended for too long
- Staff miscommunication
- Improperly documented medical records
Your health and your family’s health should not be compromised by any of these mistakes. Hospital errors caused by one of the above is a gross deviation of a hospital’s duty to care. If you have suffered because of a hospital’s failure to carry out its duties, the Albuquerque hospital errors attorney team at Lerner and Rowe will get you the compensation you deserve.
Doctors and Hospital Errors
One facet of hospital errors to be mindful of deals with doctors. While some doctors are hospital staff, many are classified as independent contractors. In those cases, it’s possible that medical malpractice falls to the doctor and not the hospital. However, if a hospital has contracted a doctor with a history of medical malpractice for an extended period of time, that could be considered a form of negligence, as well.
Medical malpractice conducted by a doctor at a hospital can be a difficult situation to navigate. Our Albuquerque hospital errors attorney team has extensive experience in handling this issue and will find the right solution for you.
Contact an Albuquerque Hospital Errors Attorney
As mentioned above, hospital errors are complicated cases of medical malpractice, simply because of the numerous parties involved. In hospital error cases, it’s common for the various parties to shift blame and deflect their responsibility. This is why you need an experienced Albuquerque hospital errors attorney from Lerner and Rowe. We will listen to you with care and fight for you with vigor.
Lerner and Rowe is available online 24/7 through our LiveChat feature. You can also send us details about your case through an online form. Remember, earning your settlement is our top priority and we do not take fees unless we win your case.
Please connect with our Albuquerque-based lawyers today so we can get started on your case!