According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 145.6-million emergency room (ER) visits in 2016. ER situations are full of pressure, with doctors, nurses, and staff required to make fast and accurate decisions in potentially life-threatening situations. Competent doctors and nurses are often able to put patients on the road to recovery. However, there are times when negligence and failure occur in the ER. This is known as medical malpractice due to emergency room errors.
When a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional makes a mistake in an emergency room, it can lead to serious injury or wrongful death. These mistakes can introduce additional sickness on top of what you were being treated for and even lead to significant loss. It can be frustrating when you seek emergency treatment but only receive more pain, suffering, or loss of normal life. Figuring out the proper course of action in order to get the compensation you deserve can also be confusing while you’re trying to recover. This is when you need a skilled Albuquerque emergency room errors lawyer from Lerner and Rowe.
How Do Emergency Room Mistakes Happen?
Medical professionals in emergency departments often work in intense, high-pressure environments. It’s a testament to their experience and training that the majority of their patients are treated safely. Unfortunately, there are times when mistakes are made. Some of the reasons emergency room errors happen include:
- Failure to acquire adequate medical history
- Insufficient physical examination
- Overlooking high-priority health concerns in triage
- Tainted blood transfusions
- Not recognizing symptoms of a stroke or heart attack
- Incorrect or insufficient diagnostic or laboratory testing
- Misreading or misinterpreting X-rays, MRIs, and lab results
- Failure to maintain sanitary conditions
- Anesthesia administered incorrectly
- Delays in testing and treatment
- Inadequate patient monitoring
- Patient dumping (premature discharge of a patient)
Additionally, Lerner and Rowe have extensive experience with other ER medical malpractice mistakes too. These include prescription errors, failure to diagnose and misdiagnosis, and surgical errors. If you or a loved one are a victim of an ER mistake, then contact a Lerner and Rowe Albuquerque emergency room errors lawyer immediately.
Sickness Caused by Emergency Room Mistakes
Emergency room errors can have a severe and long-term impact on your health. Some of the sicknesses that can happen because of this form of medical malpractice include:
- Pulmonary embolism
- Heart damage due to an undiagnosed stroke or embolism
- Paralysis from cauda equina syndrome
- Hemorrhaging and internal bleeding
- Damage to or loss of organs or limbs
- Wrongful death
How to Prove Emergency Room Errors
Proving medical malpractice due to emergency room errors is a straightforward process. However, the details can be problematic. In order to prove an emergency room errors case you need to:
- Show that a relationship between medical providers and a patient was established
- Illustrate the medical professionals’ standard of care
- Prove that negligence occurred or standard of care was breached
- Show that the negligence caused pain, suffering, additional bills, disruption of normal life, or wrongful death
While the process looks simple on paper, proving your case can be difficult. The Albuquerque emergency room errors lawyer team has extensive experience in this area of medical malpractice. We are here to guide you through the process and get you the maximum compensation you’re entitled to.
Contact an Albuquerque Emergency Room Errors Lawyer
Should you or a loved one be a victim of an emergency room error, contact Lerner and Rowe immediately. Our Albuquerque emergency room errors lawyer team will listen to the details of your case and provide you with counsel. When the time comes, our attorneys will strenuously fight for you so that you can get the compensation you deserve. Then, you can focus on healing instead of a complex legal battle.
Lerner and Rowe is available online 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Our LiveChat feature gives you the answers you as soon as possible. You can also use our online form if you’d prefer to take your time. Remember, we do not charge fees unless we win your case. Earning your settlement is our top priority.
Please contact our Albuquerque-based attorneys today so we can start reviewing your ER error claim!