Chicago motorcycle safety is a common concern, and wearing the right equipment can make a huge difference for riders. Your local Illinois personal injury attorney can help you learn about what laws may require as far as your gear goes. Regardless of what the law says, there are certain choices that can improve your safety while you ride your motorcycle. It is best to make sure you have proper clothing and gear for both yourself and any passengers.
Importance of Helmets
Illinois does not currently have a law that requires riders to wear a helmet while operating or riding on a motorcycle. Even so, wearing a helmet is always a great idea. Motorcycle accidents often lead to hard contact with the ground, and facial injuries are common among riders who choose not to wear a helmet.
Even more importantly, a helmet can protect your brain from serious trauma. Studies by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that motorcycle riders are much more likely to survive an accident when they wear a helmet. Summer is motorcycle season in Chicago, and a helmet is your best accessory for Chicago motorcycle safety.
Best Helmets for Chicago Motorcycle Safety
That is not to say that novelty helmets are the best choice for Chicago motorcycle safety, because they are not. Lightweight or decorative helmets are much less effective than full helmets at preventing injuries and even death. Make sure the helmet you choose complies with the Department of Transportation’s standards for safety. Here are a few things you can look for to help you pick out the perfect helmet:
- The helmet should have a chin strap. This will keep the helmet secure if you are thrown from your bike during an accident, which is exactly when you need the helmet the most. Further, it can prevent the helmet from sliding around while you drive. A sliding helmet can block your field of vision and pose a serious threat to Chicago motorcycle safety.
- The helmet should be heavy. Most helmets approved by the Department of Transportation weigh at least three pounds. Lighter helmets often try to save weight by using a thin outer shell or skimping on the padding. Either one of these approaches to helmet design puts you at serious risk in the event of a motorcycle accident in Chicago.
- The helmet should have a visor. This prevents rocks and other debris from hitting you in the face while you drive. It keeps things from getting in your eyes and blinding you while you are operating your motorcycle. Furthermore, in the event of a wreck, the visor will protect your face.
Best Clothes for Chicago Motorcycle Safety
Leather is a popular clothing choice for motorcycle riders, and that is not only because it looks stylish! Leather boots, gloves, jackets, and even leather pants can prevent injuries like road rash in the unfortunate event of a crash. Not only is road burn extremely painful, but it can also be dangerous. Road rash opens the skin up to infections, some of which can come with serious health risks. Here is a full checklist of items that can help keep you safe:
- Eye protection – This should be part of your helmet anyway. If your helmet does not include eye protection, consider getting a new one. At the very least, get goggles.
- Protective jacket
- Gloves to prevent hand injuries from debris or a fall
- Durable pants
- Rain Gear – You never know when bad weather can come in off the lake. Wet roads are a threat to Chicago motorcycle safety.
Personal Injury Attorney in Chicago
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Chicago, call Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys at 708-222-2222 to talk about whether you may be entitled to cash compensation. Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but we are available 24/7 to take your call.
You can also contact us online via our LiveChat to discuss your case. How ever you choose to reach out to us, you can count on us to use all of our skills and experience to help you. We offer free consultations, so there’s no fee unless you win your case. We do not get paid unless you do, because your satisfaction and payment are our top priorities. Our team will bring experience, skill, and passion to your case.
For more advice about Chicago motorcycle safety, feel free to reach out to us online.
In a wreck? Need a check? Contact the Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys today!