The Nashville Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) is responsible for operating buses that drive millions of hours, transporting millions of people every year. While public transportation is generally safer than driving or riding in a passenger vehicle, bus accidents do happen.
According to the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), 44 fatalities and 12,401 injuries occurred as a result of bus accidents in 2017. While those numbers are fractionally lower than fatalities and injuries from car crashes, bus accidents can be catastrophic. If you or a member of your family have been involved in one, you should contact a Lerner and Rowe Nashville bus accident lawyer immediately.
Nashville Bus Accident Causes
Buses operated by the Nashville MTA weigh 25,000 pounds and more, depending on their capacity. They are large, cumbersome vehicles that are mechanically complex and require skill to drive. Accidents and crashes can occur due to driver error, faulty equipment, or the negligence of other drivers.Some of the most common causes for bus accidents include:
- Reckless driving: The bus driver operates the vehicle over the legal speed limit, brakes too aggressively, makes unsafe turns or lane changes, and disregards traffic laws
- Blind spots: Many buses have large blind spots, causing the driver to hit drivers and pedestrians
- Driver fatigue: Drivers that are overworked and/or lack sufficient sleep may be unaware of the car and foot traffic surrounding the bus
- Distracted driving: Drivers sometimes lose focus by paying more attention to passengers or their personal electronic devices instead of the road
- Aggressive drivers: Some people drive their cars too aggressively around busses, causing perilous situations
- Defective parts: Buses that haven’t been inspected sufficiently may have a faulty part that could lead to an accident
Bus accidents can be difficult situations to navigate. Sometimes, the fault is with the bus driver. Other times, surrounding drivers may cause accidents. While rare, a malfunctioning part installed by the bus manufacturer or MTA maintenance can cause an accident. Insurance companies may delay settlements while they try to determine the guilty party. A Lerner and Rowe Nashville bus accident lawyer can help you get the maximum compensation as soon as possible.
How a Nashville Bus Accident Attorney Can Help
Getting into a bus accident can be a traumatic experience, especially if you’ve suffered a significant injury. Lerner and Rowe’s Nashville bus accident lawyer team can take care of all your legal needs so that you can focus on recovery. Our talented personal injury attorneys can help you or a loved one receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Property damage or loss
- Wrongful death
Further, Lerner and Rowe’s Nashville bus accident lawyer team has extensive experience working with insurance companies and courts. You can be assured that our attorneys will fight hard in order to earn you the highest compensation possible.
Contact a Nashville Bus Accident Lawyer
Getting into a bus accident can be a harrowing and complicated ordeal. Let our Nashville bus accident lawyer team take care of you. At Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys,we will listen to your situation with compassion, dutifully gather evidence to build your case, and fight for your compensation with ferocity. Remember, we do not charge any fees unless you win your case. Getting you the largest settlement possible is our top priority.
You can visit Lerner and Rowe Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. You can also contact us 24/7 by phone at 615-333-8888 or online through our convenient LiveChat and form features. Don’t hesitate. Contact us today!