Every surgery carries a certain amount of risk. They are invasive processes that subject the body to trauma. Thankfully, most surgeries are successful and executed competently. Unfortunately, there are times when mistakes happen under preventable circumstances. Surgical mistakes can lead to life-long ailments and wrongful death.
It doesn’t matter how routine or complicated a surgery may be. A simple mistake could have drastic results. If you believe that you or a loved one are a victim of a surgical error that had led to serious personal injury and/or wrongful death, contact a Las Vegas surgical error attorney at Lerner and Rowe. Our experienced medical malpractice lawyers will fight for you in order to get the justice you and your family deserve.
Types of Surgical Errors
There are many types of surgical errors that can happen before, during, or after the operation. Some of the more common types of surgical mistakes include:
- Anesthesia error – Incorrect dosage or failure to identify allergies can result in brain damage or wrongful death
- Severe muscle or nerve damage near the surgical site – A surgeon may accidentally injure parts of the body close to where he or she is operating
- Leaving surgical instruments inside of the patient – Inattentive medical professionals may accidentally leave sponges, tools, and other equipment inside of a patient
Some cases of surgical errors are caused by poor bookkeeping or negligent health professionals. These include:
- Operating on the wrong area – Due to haphazard records/incompetent staff, a surgical team may operate on the wrong part of the body, resulting in unnecessary trauma
- Operating on the wrong patient – In extreme cases of poor record keeping and staff negligence, healthcare professionals may operate on a patient that wasn’t supposed to receive a particular operation
There are many other types of surgical mistakes that can happen to you or your family. If you’re enduring pain, suffering, loss of normal life, or your family member suffered a wrongful death because of one of these mistakes, Lerner and Rowe can help. Our Las Vegas surgical error attorney team has the experience you need if you’re dealing with a catastrophic surgery.
Why Surgical Errors Happen
There are many reasons why preventable surgical mistakes happen. These range from:
- Fatigue – Some healthcare professionals are overworked or sleep deprived because of poor scheduling, which affects their performance in the operating room.
- Incompetence – Some medical staff lack sufficient training or experience to competently carry out an operation.
- Poor planning – A patient may not receive proper preoperative instructions, such as fasting or abstaining from fluids for a certain amount of hours, which can lead to complications during surgery.
- Improper procedures followed – Some operating teams will skip steps in order to save time, which can result in additional sicknesses.
- Impaired medical staff – Some medical professionals try to cope with heavy schedules through drinking or drugs, which can lead to mistakes in the operating room.
- Poor communication – Miscommunication or a failure to communicate important details about the patient and/or procedure can result in disastrous mistakes.
You and your family should not have to suffer because of surgical errors due to any of these reasons. A Las Vegas surgical error attorney from Lerner and Rowe can help guide you through this type of medical malpractice and deliver the justice you deserve.
Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys Can Help!
Surgical mistakes can lead to lifelong ailments or wrongful death. They are distressing events that can temporarily or permanently ruin lives. If you or a loved one are suffering because of a surgical mistake then let a Las Vegas surgical error attorney at Lerner and Rowe help you. We are here with an empathetic ear to listen to your situation and a fierce fighting spirit for when it comes time to represent you in the courtroom.
Our Las Vegas and Pahrump office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Call call us at 702-877-1500 to make an appointment. As a convenience, you can also use our LiveChat feature or our online form. Your initial consultation is completely free and we do not charge any fees until your case is won, so there is no risk. Contact the Las Vegas surgical error attorney team at Lerner and Rowe today!