Patients that stay in hospitals are treated by a vast array of healthcare professionals that span a number of disciplines. They are cared for by nurses, medical technicians, surgeons, doctors, orderlies, physical therapists, and more.
The majority of medical providers do their jobs adequately or better. Unfortunately, there are a small number of healthcare professionals that neglect their duties. With so many different types of healthcare providers treating one patient, there’s always a chance of suffering because of medical malpractice. If this happens to you or a loved one, a Lerner and Rowe Illinois hospital errors attorney can help.
Different Types of Hospital Errors
Hospital mistakes can occur during any stage of sickness. From the initial diagnosis to treatment to recovery, a single mistake could result in a grave health issue. Here are some common hospital mistakes to be mindful of:
- Blood Clots — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) claims that one in ten hospital deaths are related to blood clots forming in the lungs. Blood clots can also lead to aneurysms, strokes, and deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Patients that are recovering from surgery, restricted to bed rest, or confined to wheelchairs are particularly susceptible to blood clots.
- Anesthesia Mistakes — Anesthesiologists have to be precise in their duties. Administering the wrong dose, using malfunctioning equipment, delaying dosage, failing to monitor dosage, or disregarding patient allergies can lead to life-changing health problems. These include organ damage, heart failure, brain damage, and wrongful death.
- Bed Sores — In addition to blood clots, patients that are restricted to a wheelchair or bed are prone to bed sores. They start out as rashes or patches on the skin and can progress to deadly infections. Similar to blood clots, bed sores are highly preventable by having the patient perform assisted movements.
- Intravenous Overdose/Prescription Error — Many hospital patients receive medication and fluids through an intravenous (IV) drip. Accidental overdoses and prescription errors can occur if the nurse administers the wrong medicine or wrong dosage of medicine and/or through faulty equipment.
- Emergency Room Error — Healthcare professionals that work in an emergency room (ER) have to make vital decisions in seconds. In these high-pressure situations, mistakes can happen. When an ER doctor misdiagnoses a patient or fails to treat a patient, the results can be catastrophic. Another common error is hospital staff failing to administer follow-up treatment to ER patients, which can lead to relapses and/or additional sickness.
Those are just some of the many mistakes that can be made during a hospital stay. Lerner and Rowe Injury Attorneys has extensive experience successfully representing victims of these errors, as well as victims of surgical, misdiagnosis, and birthing errors that happened in hospitals. If one of these mistakes has caused you or a loved one to suffer then contacting a Lerner and Rowe hospital errors attorney is vital.
Reasons for Hospital Errors
Doctors, nurses, technicians, and other medical providers make mistakes for a variety of reasons. These include:
- Medical records being kept poorly/inaccurate charting
- Procedures being ignored or being followed improperly
- Lacking the training and knowledge to properly treat a patient
- Poor scheduling leading to staff’s incompetence due to poor sleep
- Leaving the patient unattended for too long
- Staff miscommunication
The reasons listed above qualify as incompetence and/or negligence. Your health should not be compromised by a negligent medical provider. If you believe that it has then please contact a Lerner and Rowe Illinois hospital errors attorney as soon as possible. Our experienced Chicago lawyers will take care of your complex legal matters so that you can focus on your health.
Contact an Illinois Hospital Errors Attorney
When you contact Lerner and Rowe’s Chicago office, you can expect a team of capable professionals that will listen to your situation with care. Next, our legal team will fastidiously comb through your evidence and consult with respected medical experts in order to present the best case possible. Finally, an Illinois hospital errors attorney will vigorously fight to maximize your compensation.
You can stop by our Chicago office for a free consultation with an Illinois hospital errors attorney Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also call us at 708-222-2222. We’re also available 24/7 via the Internet, using our convenient LiveChat and online form features.
Kindly contact us at your earliest convenience so that we can get started on your case.